Museum of Man in Greater Tubatse Platteland, Limpopo
In addition to opening Echo Caves to the public in 1924, A J Claasen, owner of the land on which the caves are situated, started the nearby Museum of Man, an open-air display of archaeological and palaeontological exhibits.
The museum is situated in a cave which dates way back when it was first inhabited by the bushmen and then by the Bapedi group and then in the mid 1800′s by the Voortrekkers.
The Voortrekkers evidently hid their wives and children in the cave from marauding tribes in the area. Excavations carried out in the cave which started in the early 1960’s clearly indicate the various times that the cave was inhabited by the three groups.
Echo Caves is situated in Limpopo, South Africa in the Northern region of the Drakensberg range. The Caves are 15km West of the Strydom Tunnel (Abel Erasmus pass) and 26km North of Ohrigstad on the R36 Lydenburg/Tzaneen road.
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: