Old Fort & Cemetery in Stamford Hill, Durban, KwaZulu-Natal
The Old Fort in Durban was built in 1842 by troops of the 27th Regiment.
In time, the Old Fort was handed over to the Durban Light Infantry, its magazine was converted into a chapel and the inner courtyard was made into a garden.
The military cemetery, where the tombs of men who lost their lives during the siege of 1842 are located, forms part of this complex. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 6 April 1936.
It houses many memorials and features of historical importance.
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: