Old Railway Station in Bethulie, Vrystaat
The railroad linking East London to Bethulie was constructed in 1892. The passenger terminal and several of the other buildings were commissioned later in 1894.
It was here that women and children held captive during the Anglo-Boer war were made to disembark and to journey on foot to the concentration camp some two miles away. The first child to perish in Bethulie as a consequence of the concentration camp policy died in the corrugated iron building at this station.
The old station was closed in 1970 with the re-routing of the railroad and the construction of a new station east of Bethulie.
Uit ons gallery
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: