In 1833 the Berlin Missionary Society established the mission of Amalienstein next to that of Zoar.
Frau Amalie von Stein
Two mission stations were completed in 1853 in the building style of a century ago. The town was named after Frau Amalie von Stein who donated the money to purchase the land.
The mission stations were transferred to the Dutch Reformed Church during the First World War and both Amalienstein and Zoar are managed by the Dutch reformed Church.
The gardens, irrigated by a stream flowing out of Seweweekspoort, produce apples, figs and pears.
The town is part of the touristic Route 62.
Geskep: ; Laas opgedateer: